Monday, February 16, 2009

How would I Teach What I Have Learnt?

In the previous post, “Criteria of a Good Play”, I had explained how the knowledge of what makes a good play is related or useful to my area of study. Apparently, it helps a great deal to teachers who are teaching drama, for it provides the skill of choosing a good play for their students. In this post, I’m going to discuss whether I would be able to adopt and adapt this skill that I’ve learnt for my future lessons (Well, if I were a teacher).

First of all, I will explain how I would adopt the skill in my future lesson of teaching drama. To teach drama, I can use the skill of choosing good plays to select a play that is able to create students’ interest and attract their attention. In other words, it helps me to choose a play that is able to make students to read it again and again willingly. It would be a play that is read with pleasure, but not with pressure. This is very important to avoid students to feel bored with the main teaching material (the play) that will be analysed repeatedly for many lessons. Moreover, the learning process will slack down once students stop reading or even refuse to look at it again.

Nonetheless, besides choosing an interesting play, teacher who teaches drama should be able to choose suitable plays for their students too. Now, I will explain how would I adapt the skill in my future lesson. In choosing plays, I will choose plays that are suitable to students’ level of proficiency (vocabulary), level of understanding and world knowledge (related issues), besides considering their interest.

Lastly, let us review the question again. Would I be able to adopt and adapt the skill of choosing a good play for my future lesson? The answer for the question will be a big “yes”, for this skill will be very useful in my future lessons.

No comments:

Post a Comment